Mission Aligned Impact Investment
Mover: The Rt Rev’d TK Pikaahu
Seconder: The Rt Rev'd Ellie Sanderson
That this General Synod / te Hīnota Whānui 2018:
Recognising the significant and unjust challenge poverty poses to people in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia, for present and future generations, and
Recognising the critical role of safe, secure, stable and affordable housing in addressing poverty, and
Recognising the global advancement of impact investment, where money is employed not just to earn an income but also to do good in a manner consistent with one’s mission and values, and
Recognising the Church’s fivefold mission, particularly to respond to human needs by loving service and to seek to transform unjust structures of society, and
Acknowledging the successful implementation of GSTHW 2014 Motion 22 - Fossil Fuel Divestment, with its emphasis on safeguarding the integrity of creation and the sustenance and renewal of the life of the earth, and building on that positive work with a renewed focus on how we employ God’s money and resources to support the people we serve, and their spiritual and physical needs, and
Accepting the responsibilities and duties of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia as an ethical investor,
(i) Agrees that it is highly desirable that funds invested on behalf of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia should be achieving social and environmental returns in addition to financial returns
(ii) Requests that consideration be given to proactively investing directly into enterprises that actively align with the 5 fold mission of the Church where this can be prudently achieved.
(iii) That this Synod/Hinota commission a small working group to provide advice on mission aligned investments to deliver spiritual, financial, social or environmental returns in the regions of the three Tikanga that are most in need, and to;
- advise on how prudential requirements for trustees might be met in giving effect to this motion;
- support and advise trustees on any perceived or real conflicts that may arise as a result of this motions,
- if considered desirable or necessary make representations to the Government for legislative change to ensure that this wider understanding of returns has statutory recognition.
- take such advice legal and otherwise to give effect to this motion.
- And to report back to General Synod/te Hinota Whanui 2020