Saturday saw a first in the setting right of the dispossession of te iwi Maori. Hundreds turned out in Tauranga to witness an apology, not by the Crown, but by this church for the 1866 actions of one of its mission agencies.
• Bishop Andrew Hedge's sorrow
• Dr Alistair Reese explains the history
• Tauranga's Deputy Mayor gives his view
• One News report on the apology
• MTS: Te Kaea's report
• The formal apology
• The previous story
A New Zealand Anglican writer has published a new set of reflections to help readers along their spiritual journey through Advent.
Bible Society New Zealand has released a new audio Bible read in a Kiwi accent.
The Diocese of Wellington has celebrated 18 clergy who were recently ordained in a packed festival service at Wellington's Cathedral of St Paul.
The traditional parish church may be struggling. Census data will tell you that. But as American theologian Paul Sparks told a gathering at St John's college yesterday, God's not done with parishes. In fact, says Paul, the new parish is central to God's redemptive, restorative purpose.
• Watch Paul Sparks speak in Wellington
St John’s Theological College has invited US changemaker Paul Sparks to Aotearoa next week as part of its vision to revitalize Anglican communities as Spirit-led agents of social change.
In August this year the Archbishop of Sydney, Dr Glenn Davies, proposed that this church recognise a parallel Anglican Church in this country. The General Synod Standing Committee has today sent him a public letter in response to his proposal.
• The unedited text of the GSSC letter
• The ACNS report on this issue
• Archbishop Glenn Davies' response
All Souls’ Church in Merivale St Albans parish has opened its doors as the first suburban Anglican church built in Christchurch since the earthquakes, and the first ‘built from scratch’ in the diocese for 40 years.
A broader investigation into the historic abuse of children in institutions was always needed, says Archbishop Philip Richardson. He's welcomed news that the Royal Commission of Inquiry will now include children in the care of faith-based institutions.
• The PM's statement on the extension of the inquiry
• Duncan Garner interviews Archbishop Philip on AM TV
• RC Bishop of Dunedin questions inquiry's scope
• RNZ Checkpoint PM video re: inquiry announcement
• Newshub interviews Hon Kelvin Davis, Archbishop Philip Richardson
• Bishop Kito Pikaahu explains church's stand to Maori TV