This is the text of the Tikanga Pakeha caucus decision over the request to the General Synod by the Te Aute Trust Board to seek its support for further funding.
This was conveyed by emissary to the Tikanga Maori caucus, then read in the plenary session of the General Synod.
• We recognize the huge efforts that have been made in the Te Aute Trust Board as represented in their report.
• We remain totally committed to the development of Anglican Maori education in this Church.
• There are material uncertainties from our point of view that make it difficult for the decision making bodies (General Synod Standing Committee and Te Kotahitanga) to conclude a position on this matter.
• Tikanga Pakeha is not in a position to support the motion.
• Steps should be taken to ensure survival of Hukarere and decision makers should be invited to prioritise this school.
• We encourage conversations with St Stephen’s and Queen Victoria Schools Trust Board for the good of Anglican Maori education.